Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sisters by Choice

Yesterday afternoon, I went to a bridal shower for one of my very best friends. To start the shower off, the hostess asked us how we knew my bff and why we love her. We have known each other since grade school, and I said some lame answer about what a great friend she is and how she has always been there for me.

So, as we were driving home last night, I really started to think about why I love her. It was funny because both her Mom and her Aunt said they loved her because they had too. And as we were coming home, I thought that I really was at that stage that I loved her because I had to too.

She and I are way passed the stage of just caring about each other as friends do. We are at the point in our friendship that we love each other unconditionally, like sisters. We have gone through lots of ups and downs in our friendship and in our personal lives.

We've been through break-ups, bad relationships, lots and lots of fun times, traveled together, moved together and through all of the bad, sad, happy and fun times we have always been friends. There have been moments that we have been super close and moments where the distance between us both physically and mentally has weighed heavily on my heart.
She is an OB nurse and helped to deliver kiddo numero dos and I so wished that she could have been there to help deliver kiddo uno, but we lived too far away at that time. There was no one that I wanted to be by my side more then my husband, my Mom and my bff.
I have watched her have a baby at 19 and finish school to be a fantastic nurse, struggle to be a single Mom and raise a little boy and then have another beautiful baby with her soon to be husband.
I am so thrilled that she has found the Man that completes her life and that he is a strong enough person to be a Dad to her first son and make their family complete. I hope for many great years for them to come and a life filled with happiness. I hope that she knows how much I love her and how glad that I am to have her in my life.

6 comments:

BrownEyed Cowgirls said...

Everyone should be so lucky to have a friend/sister like that.

Pony Girl said...

Sweet tribute to a special friend. I have a friend that is like a sister too....we just saw each other for the first time in 7 months, and it was like no time had passed.

OneCowgirl said...

What a lovely tribute to your friend. We should all experience friendships like that!!

Train Wreck said...

Oh So Sweet! Sounds like both of you are lucky,sistas! I don't have any sisters by blood, but I can pick my sisters! Especialy now that I've joined the Blogging world!

Momma / Cowgirl said...

How blessed you are to have a bff as you do.
I had a friend like this from when I was 20 until I was 35 when my bff died of cancer. I have not been able to get as close to another friend since then. In fact, right now I do not have anyone that I truly say is a best friend, just good acquaintances and it has been 15 years.

Momma / Cowgirl said...

My sister died at age 42, she had an infection that ravaged her body. That was in 1994. I miss her so!

You are very blessed to have this friend. I am glad to hear of the joy between you two.

I have had my man since I was 14 years old and he has always been my bestest friend in the world, but there is just something about a bond between 2 women.

take care!