Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Feeding Chickens

Introducing my Step-kiddo.....
She will be with us all summer and will be making appearances on this blog from
time to time.

Yes, it can be hard having another sister join us part-time through out the year, but we do the best we can to make all of the girls feel special and loved. Anyone who has a blended family can understand the difficulties of putting kids together, but our girls love each other and argue just like any other family.

But she sure is a cutie!! And she's had a pretty tough life, it's the kids that suffer most in this situation!!


All of the kiddos love to go feed the chickens at the Funny Farm with Grammy. Grammy lets them bring in the feed and the chicken scratch.

Notice the little chicken to the left of kiddo numero dos. She's blind. And the girls loved to pet her. Poor thing didn't know what was getting her. But she was very gentle with them and let the girls touch her as much as they wanted.


Notice that kiddo numero dos brought her lip gloss to feed chickens with. It's always important to impress the other chicks!! She's also very stylish in her purple Phat Babies worn outside her jeans. A true diva in training.

Trust me she's not as innocent as she looks. You might just see that little devil perched on her shoulder whispering naughty ideas in her ear.


Kiddo Numero Uno had the job of gathering eggs this day. Here she is getting up the nerve to stick her hand under the hen.....

Just kidding all of the hens were outside eating the scratch. She didn't have anything to worry about. No Mama chicks to give her a hard time.


First she looks in the box to see if there are any eggs...


Then she carefully reaches her little grimy hand in to grab the eggs...


AND TAAAAAAA DAAAAAAAAAAA, we're in luck. The old hens on the Funny Farm laid two eggs this morning. Grammy has new baby chicks growing just waiting to start their happy lives of laying eggs, but the old hens are giving it their best effort before they retire and let the young ladies do all of the work.


We don't have chickens here on the Ranch yet, but it's an idea that I'm always thinking of. I just haven't decided if I have time to properly care for them. We'll see....

9 comments:

terri said...

Your step-daughter sure is a cutie, just like the younger girls! It looks like they had a great time with the chickens and gathering eggs. I've always been curious why some eggs are brown and some are white. Why is that?

BrownEyed Cowgirls said...

I would love to get some chickens again. We always had them when we were growing up. LOVE fresh eggs-they are nothing like the tasteless things you buy at the store.
I also wonder about the added responsibility of more animals. I would have to start from scratch with a hen house and such if I did get them. Probably means I won't be getting any soon...

Blended families...seems everyone has those these days. Although from the pictures-they all look like full siblings. That really seems to help everyone feel like they belong. At least that is what I have noticed when Chris' kids and Megan get together.

Tj & Mark said...

Hey, thanks for visiting our site. Enjoyed yours. Cute pics of cute girls. My chickens are still babies, but I am looking forward to September when they should start laying. Also a comment about your previous post. Go for that hike, you might find some cool treasures like... broken tea cups or parts of an old treadle sewing machine. Least that is what I found on our old homestead sites!

Tj & Mark said...

Oh, Terri, the color of the egg depends on the breed of chicken. Some lay brown, some lay white and there are even breeds that lay pastel colored eggs. Check it out.

Pony Girl said...

It was cute to see the girls in the hen house. When I was little, my parents bought a farm and we inherited lots of hens and two turkeys. It was our job to go feed the chickens and collect the eggs.
Love the purple fat baby boots. I'd wear those myself! :)

Momma / Cowgirl said...

WOW, I just love looking at the darling girls. I miss little ones. I especially miss my girl!
We have chicks and they are a friendly bunch.
Purple boots, all the rage... *SMILES*

Farmgirl_dk: said...

Oh, do it! Get some chickens. You won't regret it. I'm having *the* best time with mine. A year ago this time, I would never have guessed that I had 12 chickens to call my own...your girls would totally love it, too. The chickens have been a real family affair around here. Your oldest daughter's face is priceless, as she reaches for and then find the eggs. All three of your girls are CUTIES!

Strawberry Lane said...

How absolutely ... darling. What a wonderful time they are having! Such enjoyable photos!

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

I want some chickens!!