Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Our Story III

To read earlier versions of this post, please click one of the links below...

Our Story
Our Story II

So, the next morning, I woke up, got in the shower and got ready for church. I called one of my friends that I attended church with, and we made plans to meet up at church later. I didn't even think to mention that I might be bringing a boy.

I mean really what were the chances that he would...

1. Remember that he had agreed to go to church with me.
2. Actually call
3. Actually drag his butt out of bed early enough to get dressed and ready for church.

Needless to say, I wasn't counting on it.

You could imagine my surprise then, when shortly after hanging up with my friend, the phone rang again.

IT WAS HIM!!!

My heart raced and I got so nervous. I couldn't believe that he was up and actually calling me this early on a Sunday morning.

"Are you all ready?" he asked me. Are you kidding, I thought to myself. Now, I'm going to have to rethink what I was wearing, change my hair and get it all done and be ready in time for church.

"Oh, sure" I said. "I've been up and ready for quite a while."

"Great, you can come pick me up then, so we can go together."

"Ok, well let me finish up and I'll be right over."

Crud, I flew to the bathroom, plugged my flat iron back in and got to work. I ran back to my bedroom combed through my closet and changed my clothes. Then I ran down the stairs and out to my car.

The whole drive over to his house, my stomach had butterflies, and I was totally freaked out. I couldn't help but wonder if he would still be interested in me now that he was sober and we weren't out at the club. Would I still be pretty to him? Would he notice that zit on my chin? Would I still be interesting and fun without the liquid courage?

I picked him up and we headed to my church that wasn't far from where he lived. We made small talk, actually I made small talk and he sat in my passenger seat and smiled. The dude barely talked............. it was like pulling teeth to get him to talk to me.

"Oh great" I thought. "He's totally bored already and regretting that he's going to church with me."

I wish I could describe the feeling that I got when we walked in to my church together. After all of the nervous talking and butterflies in my stomach, there was a sense of total calmness after we entered the church. I finally felt peaceful and comfortable with this man standing by my side.

Looking back now, this was an omen of how our relationship would be. Me freaking out, and him being the quiet and steady support that I need.

I could tell that he enjoyed the service and when I suggested that we go to breakfast after church, he was all for it.

Again, we went to breakfast and I was my goofy talkative self and he sat quietly on the other side of the booth smiling at me and barely saying a word.

"Oh geez" I thought, "Does this guy ever talk?"

After breakfast I took him back to his house. I was going to go home and take a nap after being up so late the night before. I needed to do laundry and get ready for the work week.

I could tell that he was reluctant to get out of my car, but finally he said Good-bye and I left to go home. We hadn't made plans to see each other again, so I wasn't sure where we were leaving things.

I again assumed that, that was that, and we would see what happened.....

4 comments:

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

I love it!

In this family, I am the talker. The family jokes that they don't have to talk to anyone for I do enough talking for the entire family.

Meg said...

GREAT story...keep it coming, you are doing it in a MOST FABULOUS way!

Mrs Mom said...

Glad I found your blog- love your story! Looking forward to more installments with your Strong Silent Type ;)

Those "dating fuzzies" used to drive me insane... lol... SO glad that Dear Husband is The One, and that part of life is over with forever... ;)

Jenny said...

Just stumbled across you, I love finding other country folks' blogs. Love this story! Like Pioneer Woman's Black Heels to Tractor Wheels! I wish I had such an interesting story to tell about my husband and I.