Thursday, April 24, 2008

Little Girls

Growing up my family went to a small Baptist church in our small little town and we had a great church family. And I do mean family. There were 5 or 6 families that spent a lot of time together and all of the parents would watch all of the kids. I would get in trouble with my Mom's friend just like I would with my Mom. I thought of most of the other kids more like brother's and sister's over just family friends. It was great!!

We now have a really great group of friends that I think of more like family then friends, and they treat my kids like they are their own. We try to take at least one camping trip together each year, and there are several annual things that we get together and do (Trick or Treating, Corn Maze, Holiday Party, Easter, etc.) I love it, and I love the fact that we have found such great friends who also have kids our kids age and who love my kids.

But I digress....

There was one family in our church family who had two older daughters and they always gave my Mom their hand me down clothes. Believe it or not, we loved this. There was a huge black garbage bag full of clothes that we could go through. It was like going to the mall and being surprised with what you bought. The two other girls were pretty stylish, and we were VERY happy to have the clothes that they sent over to us.

There was one item of clothing in particular that I can remember getting...

A tube top.

My Mom would never have bought one for us, and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I put it on my scrawny grade school body and pranced outside to get some sun. I was sooooo proud and thought I was sooooo cool. Oh how I wish I still had that tiny body, even with my bony elbows and knees, and my ribs jutting out....... I was cool!!

And then it all came tumbling down.........

My Dad took one look at me and told me I should go change before the top revealed my flat chest. He was totally joking with me and said that I shouldn't wear a tube top until I had something to hold it up. I was crushed. I thought I looked so grown up...

Dad I look back now and see the humor in your words!! I must have looked so funny in that tube top, and I thank the Lord that my parents taught us modesty and it's something that I hope to instill in my children.

I don't know about you, but I hate seeing pre-teen and teen girls with their bottoms hanging out and a g-string showing. I hate that their tops are soooo tight and that you can see how uncomfortable it makes them to wear those clothes with their bellies hanging out the sides and front. I hate that they think they need to show off all of their bodies in order to look cute. And the worst thing is the girls who don't even realize how unflattering their clothes really are.

So Thank you, Thank you , Thank you to my Mom and Dad for teaching us this lesson and not allowing us to unknowingly make ourselves look horrible.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I agree with you entirely! Girls today just make me sick! There is just no good reason for girls to be dressing like that is all!

I'm glad you "hung up" the tube top until the right time though!

Jamie

Doris said...

I am with you totally ! I think the teen and pre-teen girls now look so ugly and cheap and they don't have sense enough to know it. The one's with the worst figures possible are showing everything they have with the idea that the more skin ? they show the better they look ???? Wrong ! It just makes " UGLY" look "UGLIER" I applaud your parents !!