Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Funny Farm

My parents have a little mini farm of about 10 acres and multiple animals. After talking with my Mom yesterday (who I now call the crazy cat lady) I had to share her story.

For the last few years, my parents have been accumulating cats. For some reason, people dump cats off on the corner where they live and most of the cats manage to find their way to my paretnts barn.

A few years ago, a Mama kitty had a litter of kittens and then disappeared (I think). Anyway, somehow my Mom being the animal lover that she is couldn't just leave the kittens to die so she took them in and fed them with a dropper.

This is not the first time she has done this. In fact, all growing up I remember people bringing their kittens to my Mom when the Mom's had either disappeared or died. (This happens quite a bit in the country due to the coyotes, owls, etc.) And we would all feed them with an eye dropper until they could drink their milk from a saucer. At times we would try to find the kittens a home and sometimes they would live in the house, or out in our barn.

So now, my parents have five cats living in their home. Yep, I said five...........I'm sure you can imagine the cat hair..... I digress.....

Last week, ALL of the cats stopped eating. So my poor Dad had to cart them all in to the vet. Over $500 dollars later they found out the cats had feline herpes. They had sores all in their mouths and down their throats, so the poor things couldn't eat. My parents spent all week-end tube feeding the cats (which is quite a fiasco) and giving them kitty medicine. Luckily, this is a cat disease and can't be spread to humans, but YUCK!! Can you imagine....

The cats are now on the mend. Thank goodness, but this is not the only animal mishap that has happened to my parents on their "Funny Farm" I'll be sharing more of their stories in the following months....

4 comments:

Farmgirl_dk: said...

Egad - I had no idea such a thing even existed! Your parents are saints for taking such good care of these abandoned creatures. They must have quite a spay/neuter bill, too!!

Ranch Mommy said...

I didn't either. They do have quite a large vet bill. They have rescued many animals over the years. My Mom has a soft spot for them!!

Around The Funny Farm said...

Unfortunately, we are the first farm you come to when someone leaves the town with a cat....

[sigh..] I have a big barn...

Jamie said...

The same thing happens to my grandparents! They swear they have a sign somewhere on their property that says "SUCKERS", cause they too have a soft spot for a cute face.