Friday, February 22, 2008

Family Vacations

Growing up my family always took a summer road trip. I don't remember them ever missing a year, and the memories from those vacations are some of my best family memories. We have visited so many different historical sites, and landmarks that most of my friends hadn't even heard of. Each summer would be a new history lesson for us, learned first hand.

Now that I'm a parent, I don't know how my parents could afford every year to take us on a vacation with only a single income. It's expensive to feed a family of five and pay for motel rooms, etc. I now realize why we didn't get a souvenir from every little place we stopped. I can remember looking with adoring eyes at all of the sweatshirts in every little gift shop we stopped in and wishing I could get one. How unpractical I was, and because I knew my parents would say "No" I never asked. Now that I'm an adult (I like to pretend I am anyways) I can totally understand that if we got a sweatshirt from every place we stopped, how much money that would end up being. I guess I have gotten a little smarter..........

We are taking our first ever road trip this summer/fall as a family (If you don't count our little week-ends to the coast). We will be piling all of the kids in and heading to Disneyland. Oh my, I'm excited!! How different our road trip will be from those I remember. Growing up, we had to entertain ourselves. My Mom would pick up travel games and we played "I Spy", we kept track of the different states license plates that we saw, we played the ABC game, etc.


My kids have a DVD system in our SUV. I'm thinking of making it limited access and teaching my kids to play the games we played growing up. We'll see how that goes, they're a little young at this point. We'll see...


Let me know if you know of anything spectacular that we need to see on our trip to Anaheim. I'm so excited!!


Did I mention my parents are going with us???? How fun!! The kids are going to love it!!

6 comments:

Jamie said...

We used to drive 8 hours from where we live to go visit my aunt who lived in North Dakota at the time. My brother and I fought most of the way there and most of the way back too. But somewhere amongst all the fighting we had a lot of fun too!

Thanks for commenting on my blog. I'm new to it and I'm still getting the hang of it.

Jamie

Around The Funny Farm said...

Our family plays the Alphabet Game. It is finding the letters of the alphabet from A-Z. We make up our own rules, first letter of the word, last letter of the word, any letter, and of course... BONUS POINTS... really zany ones... We have fun doing it.

Davinie said...

Looks like you are getting all settled in... in blog land! lol I'm glad you are liking it out on the ranch. Your pup is so cute. Did you know Aaron and Larie have a dog named Remi too? weird.
DRIVING to Anaheim? Good luck. I don't think I could take it. hee hee. We're going to fly when we take the kids next spring. It'll be an adventure, I'm sure. You'll have to let me know how it goes so I know what to expect. I'm sure it'll be fun, but still overwhelming for the little ones.

Suzanne Perazzini said...

I love Disneyland sooo much. I'm like a kid there. I grew up on a farm and never saw anything even remotely resembling a fairground until I was about 10 and the tiny country fair was the best thing I had ever seen.
Have a great time - I knwo you will.

karl said...

i think that teaching the abc game should be federal law and definitely part of the citizenship exam.

we play it once in a while but not as often as i recall as a child.

ahh the maker of fond memories.

woolies said...

we always took a summer vacation, and most often it required a lengthy road trip. I can remember getting a totally sunburned foot cause I had it stuck out the window! So we try to do the same thing with our kids..most summers....