Monday, January 28, 2008

Growing Up & "Stuff"

I grew up in a small town. We had a cafe, a small "general" store, a post office and a high school.

That's it.
We didn't pay attention to "brand" names and most definitely didn't have the budget for them anyway. I was excited if I was able to get clothes at Maurices, the only "cool" store in the town 12 miles away. My coolest item of clothing my freshman year in high school was my "BUM" sweatshirt. I loved it, and I know it was such a sacrifice for my parents to get it for me. Do any of you remember "BUM" clothes and were they really as cool as I thought they were??

Probably Not ~

My most wished for item was the "cool" shoes for sports. When you live in a small town, you play everything. I lived for volleyball, and played basketball in the off season because everyone else did. But, I never did have the really nice shoes I wanted. So now, I tend to spoil my kids with nice shoes. I've paid way too much money for a nice pair of Fat Baby boots for my daughter that she grows out of too quickly, but I can't seem to help it. She loves them, and I love to see her wearing nice shoes. The ones I would have wanted if we could have had them.

The funny thing is, I didn't realize how hard it was for my parents to make ends meet. I took for granted the things they did for us, and never really realized how they must have juggled things to provide for 3 kids on one income.

So as we head in to the next chapter of our life, I'm happy that we'll still be able to get our kids the things they want and need.

We'll just have to drive a WHOLE LOT farther to get them : )
Oh Yes, that's a big 'ol mess of boxes and toys behind the girls, please ignore that. : )

No comments: