Friday, January 18, 2008

Gift Cards

This Christmas my husband and I decided that for several of our family members we were going to just give them a gift card. It's probably not the most thoughtful gift, but we actually did put quite a bit of thought in to it. We thought and thought about what each of the family members needed, what they wanted, and what we came up with was stupid, cheesey gifts that would have either been re-gifted, taken to Goodwill, or sold at a yard sale. So with all of that thought put in to it, we decided to get each person a gift card for their favorite store. That way they could buy what they wanted instead of making a trip to the thrift store later in the year.

So because I had to leave for Texas on business on a Sunday night right before Christmas, my family and I spent that whole Saturday going to each of the stores and buying a gift card for several people.

Before I left for Texas, I took the cards out of my purse and put them on the counter, so we wouldn't lose them or forget about them because they would be right in front of our faces. Then I headed off for the airport to fly all day on Sunday and spend two days of intense training for an investment product we're selling.

When I got home, I was pleased to see that my husband had done a very thorough cleaning, the house was spotless. The girls were all shiny faced and smiley and my stress level was at a minimum.

"What a great family I have" I thought to myself.

So two days later, I had to start packing all of our stuff to go to Grammy and Papa's for Christmas. I was wrapping presents like a mad woman, doing laundry and packing bags. Making sure that everything was accounted for.

Clothes.........check
Blankets (my girls would positively die with theirs.............really)...........check
Coats, gloves, mittens, etc.......................check
Presents........................Check
Gift Cards................................Uhhhhhh.........."Babe, where are the gift cards"

He couldn't remember. He knows he put them somewhere safe so that they wouldn't get lost while I was in Texas and he was cleaning like crazy. But for the life of him, he can't remember where they are.

We turned the house upside down looking for those cards. We looked in our junk drawer (scary!!!), dressers, wallets, kids toy box, everywhere we could possibly think to look and couldn't find them anywhere.

So, what were we to do??? We couldn't show up without gift for everyone....so yep, we had to go back out and replace 3 gift cards. Luckily, one was an old fashioned gift certificate so they could just void one and replace it with a new one. The others we had to buy though. Such a bummer.

So a couple of days ago while packing up for this move, I reached in to the cupboard that we keep coffee and baby bottles in (I really needed to clean those bottles out months ago) and there they were. Tucked up against the side of the cupboard where you wouldn't notice them if you were robbing our house, but if you remembered where you put them for safekeeping, they jumped out at ya.

Needless to say, I got a new sweather at REI last night because we had an extra gift card. YAY me!!! Ha Ha!!

No comments: